Are you ready for the big one? I participated in an Oregon Business Magazine “Quake Smart” panel discussion today in the Key Bank Club at Providence Park and learned quite a bit about disaster preparedness and resilience. We had a lively discussion and I contributed some thoughts around the technologies and social network building initiatives that could help push earthquake preparedness forward. Here’s a great summary of the discussion in Oregon Business.
Some key questions and answers:
What is the best way for community members to learn more?
- OPB’s Aftershock
- OPB’s Unprepared series
- Planning for Resilience & Emergency Preparedness
- Oregon Partnership for Disaster Resilience
- Oregon Office of Emergency Management’s Cascadia Playbook
- Oregon Broadband Advisory Council
How can you stay in touch with action plans?
- Information on your intranet
- Facebook Groups or Nextdoor with your neighbors
- Connect advocacy and advisory working groups to coordinate efforts across regions, sectors, and other stakeholder groups through tools like FMYI
What are some technologies for the aftermath?
- PBEM’s Map My Neighborhood asset mapping initiative
- NASA/DHS FINDER - portable radar unit to find people buried beneath rubble
- Group messaging like Grouptrail